Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Inspired by EL Anatsui's exhibit at the NC Art Musuem

I went to the NC Art Museum June 30th with members of PAQA South and went through the EL Anatsui exhibit, "When I last wrote to you about Africa", Janna, (our President at the time) arranged for us to have a guided tour and WOW is all I can say. If this exhibit is ever in your area, please go see it, it's amazing.  To see some of his art click on the link http://africa.si.edu/exhibits/gawu/index.html.
Anyway, to thank Janna for this treat, I was inspired by what I saw to make a post card recycling items from scraps and tags from the back of shirts.
First I dug around a bag of fiber scraps my friend Diane gave me from NCSU.

I laid these out on a 4x6 piece of quilt batting and sewed down the edges.















Then with the fibers on the right, I wove them into the fringe trying for a basket weave effect.












After I wove the fibers as much as I could I arranged what I could in the middle and then put water soluable stablizer over all if it and sewed over it all creating a new background fabric.
Then rinced out the stablizer. (I do love that stuff!)












Then I went hunting in the clothes that are headed for Goodwill and snagged some tags. I got the Lauren tag from a Sport Coat my honey just purchased.











I arranged how I wanted the tags and then dabbed some school glue to hold them in place then topped with a dark green Tulle.











Then I started stiching around every tag and along the edges of the new post card,






After I finished stiching I dug around my scrap bin and found an attractive brown to edge the postcard with. I used Wonderunder to attach it.








The I topped it off with some decorative stitching along the edges.




And Viola! a post card made from recycled items in my sewing room.
It was these items fate to be remade into my postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment