Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Teaching again at Cary Quilting Company!!

I am so excited to be teaching again!! Cary Quilting Company now has an AWESOME Meeting Center/classroom. It is a wonderful place to teach in. (They are also looking to rent it out, reasonable rates as well)


On Saturday June 9, I led a Dying 101 class to introduce beginning dying to those who want to learn. I put it together as a class I wish I could have found when I was wanting to learn years ago.


I had six people sign up and we covered the basics of mixing a chem water to use for Procian Fiber Reactive Dyes and everyone had a hand at mixing at least one bottle of dye.


Then came the fun part...dying!
We used "White on White" fabric since it looks so cool after it's dyed in class. Below you can see some examples. We first dyed using a cookie sheet do keep out any variations.(folds)




Then we started to smoosh everything into a jar and add colors as it was smooshed.




We also used plastic quart bags and plastic mushroom containers to dye in. I did have to warn them that once they started to dye....they will never walk through a hardware or grocery store the same way again!
We ended up dying seven yards of fabric and I think everyone had a good time!!



Coming Saturday June 23, Gelli Play! Using a 6x6 Gelli plate and Marabu textile paints!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment