Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What a play day!!! Sun Painting


Techno and I had another play day. We learned how to sun paint with Set a Color paints and cotton fabric. We had a great time and here are some of the results.





It's a pretty simple process.
You'll need:
Paint Brushes - bristle or sponge
Set a color paints (I got mine from Dharma)
White cotton fabric (must be wet, not sopping)
small cups to mix water and paint
plastic bags (I used large garbage bags)
craft tissue paper to add more color
leaves or other items of interest

Using the small cups, I diluted paint to a thinner consistancy so it would be easier to spread. I also mixed up some purple and green to add. I laid the garbage bags down on the table and smoothed the wet fabric over it and gently spread out the air bubbles and creases.
I used a sponge brush to lightly go over the fabric, letting it bleed across as it would. I use lighter colors first when I layer so I started with light yellow and finished with red or blue.





Then I applied torn up strips of tissue paper to further add to the crazy colors
When the fabric got nice and covered, we took them outside to "cook" in the sun. Below is the result
  



Know what happens when you take leaves and put them on the wet paint and "cook" outside? You get a really neat looking fabric!
The next batch I painted the fabric same as before however this time I laid different leaves on the top and set it outside.

I thought the results were really cool!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment