Thursday, March 14, 2013

I got into Peakfest!!!!

I was excited to find out I got accepted into Peakfest 2013 Saturday May 4th! Peakfest a festival held in downtown Apex, NC.  After reviewing my inventory,  I found I had to get busy dying as soon as I could. Lucky for me Sunday was a lovely 70 degree day and I could get some scarves dyed.
I ADORE the ice dye effect so I decided to use the technique. I also thought I'd share with you how I do Ice Dying in in case you want to try it yourself. I've Ice Dyed with silk/rayon blends, 100 % silk and 100% cotton fabrics. I'm going to try wool roving at a later time. I also bet 100% cotton batting would work as well.
What you'll need:
  • Containers to hold ice and dye, I got mine at the Dollar Tree
  • Natural fiber fabric (cotton, silk, rayon) soaked in a soda ash solution for 45 minutes
  • Bagged ice to cover your fabric. (I went through 2-10lb bags and a tray of ice out of my freezer for 18 scarves)
  • Procian Fiber Reactive dyes, variety of colors
  • Synthropyl (to wash scarves after rinse)


1) After the items have soaked in a soda ash solution for 45 minutes, Layer some ice cubes at the bottom of your chosen containers. (use containers that you don't care if they stain, or glass)







Just enough ice to cover the bottom.


2) Put the items in that you are dying into the ice. You can put multiples in together. I prefer not to have them touch too much. (but that's just me)


3) Once you get the items arranged, cover them with more ice until you get as much coverage as you can.
4) Then you get out your handy Procian Fiber Reactive Dyes and some plastic spoons.


5) Let your inner color freak take over and start to sprinkle dye powder over the ice in random areas. Typically I start with yellows and then blues and leave red to the very end. (Red is VERY dominate so ease up just a little on the color)
6) I also had some leaf green that looked pretty so I added a touch of that to a couple of containers. I then went on to blues, a light value and a dark value.
7) Then I started to add the red. As you can see I'm very sparing with it.

Don't  these colors look luscious?


They almost look like candy to me....sprinkled with sugar

After the ice has melted (about 4-6 hours), rinse the scarves in running water until they run clear. Wash in warm water in the washer with a tablespoon of Synthropyl . Air Dry and iron.

The results were awesome!!!




























No comments:

Post a Comment