Thursday, March 14, 2013

Wall Hanging Updates

In my last post I told you about two wall  hangings I had in process, "Daydreaming...Outside the Box" and one I've now named "Dancing Back to the Light".
I finally got my needles and beads into "Dancing back to the Light" and I was pretty happy with the results,  I wanted a curvy look to go with the dye pattern so I tried to do a curve border....well I tried. Then I free motion quilted curves and texture into the piece and finished it off with beads and sequins.
I was happy with the results       
and think it turned out pretty nice. I decided to mount it on canvas instead of the traditional "sleeve" on the back. Using glitter glue I added more swirls to keep the motion consistent. I like how it turned out and it gives be an opportunity to add another dimension to the work. It also makes it a "mixed media" type of piece and can be entered as such.
I don't think it would be accepted in a traditional quilt competition but I can use this for any art shows  may enter.

I did the same type of mounting with "Daydreaming...Outside the Box". Using Gel Medium I took the yellow organza that I had added to the wall hanging and put in on the canvas. It helped to pull the yellows out since green was so heavy in the piece. I was very happy with the results.

I was so happy that I entered both pieces in the Johnston County Art and Food Festival, Friday March 1 in Smithfield.  I am very proud to say that "Daydreaming....Outside the Box" placed second in the Mixed Media category.
Woo Hoo!!! I haven't entered a competition like this since the early 80's.
Below is how it looked with a lovely red ribbon adorning it. :-) It helps bring out the red in the background colors.